Effective Date: 1 August 2014
GlobalCaritas Respects Your Right to Privacy
Your privacy and security is important to us. GlobalCaritas respects your right to privacy and is committed to protecting the personal information that you provide to us. We use the information collected through our website to facilitate donation collection and processing, to provide tax receipts, to process online account registrations and to communicate relevant news and updates. GlobalCaritas does not trade, license, rent or sell your personal information in any manner.
Privacy Statement and Summary
General Privacy Practices
GlobalCaritas observes the following privacy practices:
- GlobalCaritas collects information only for strictly specified purposes.
- We only require that you provide the necessary amount of personal information to provide any service, as required by law or by the South African Revenue Services (SARS).
- We may ask you for more information about yourself to help us provide you with more personalised information and services, but in such cases, you are not obligated to provide such information.
- Personal information gathered by GlobalCaritas is held in the strictest confidence and is protected by industry standard best practices.
- In certain instances, Donors are able to restrict the amount of information shared with the charities they support. In doing so, GlobalCaritas may not be able to provide certain services that require personal information. GlobalCaritas will inform you of the implications of opting out.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is defined as any information about an identifiable individual including information that can be used to recognise, identify or contact a specific individual, whether it concerns an email address, where an individual lives, or which interests, causes and organizations he or she supports. Personal information does not include most business contact information such as the name, title, business address, or business telephone or fax number of an employee of an organization, and certain publicly available information.
Links to Third Party Sites
GlobalCaritas is committed to the following 10 privacy principles under POPI:
- GlobalCaritas is responsible for personal information in our custody or under our control and we have designated a Privacy Official who is accountable for GlobalCaritas’ compliance with POPI. There are other individuals within GlobalCaritas who are responsible for day to day collection and management of personal information.
2) Identifying Purposes
GlobalCaritas collects and uses personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide tax receipts when users make an online donation, or use other services such as Profile Pages or Gift Cards.
- To allow users to create or register for a GlobalCaritas account and to manage those accounts.
- To administer pre-authorised recurring donations.
- To generate statistics and aggregate reports for internal and external use.
- To communicate directly with users, including through GlobalCaritas service news and updates, charitable promotions, charitable stories we think will be of interest to you, or other forms of communications.
- To provide client support and help.
3) Consent to use your personal information
GlobalCaritas collects personal information about you only when you voluntarily provide it or otherwise only with your consent as required by POPI or by other applicable law.
- We will not, as a condition of the supply of our service, require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfil the explicitly specified and legitimate purposes for which the information is being provided.
- Upon giving GlobalCaritas reasonable notice, a user may withdraw consent to use his or her personal information at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions. If you wish to withdraw your consent, please contact the Privacy Official of GlobalCaritas as described below. We will inform you of the implications of withdrawing consent.
- If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in more personalised information and services, you may change your preferences by logging into your GlobalCaritas account or easily unsubscribe by following the directions provided with the communication.
4) Limiting Collection
GlobalCaritas limits the collection of personal information to that which is reasonably necessary for the identified purpose. The types of information GlobalCaritas collects can be summarised as follows:
a) Personal Information provided to GlobalCaritas: GlobalCaritas collects certain personal information directly from individuals who interact with our website or otherwise with us, including the following:
- Contact information (such as name, address, e-mail address and telephone number);
- Financial and billing information (such as credit card number/expiration date, broker and financial advisor information); and
- Donation history (such as amount donated and charities donated to);
- Tax receipt information; and
- Account username and password information.
b) Non-Personal Information: When donors, volunteers, charities and other organizations access the secure section of our website, anonymous, non-personal information about their visit is automatically collected. This information may include the date of the visit, how the visitor uses the website, the length of the visit, what pages the visitor viewed, the type of browser and operating system being used, and the domain name of the visitor’s Internet service provider. GlobalCaritas may also collect statistics that describe how our visitors use our site. This information might include the average donation amount, the geographic breakdown of donations by area, what times of the day have the heaviest traffic, and which type of charity receives the most gifts. This information, collected in the aggregate, allows GlobalCaritas to better serve donors and charities. None of these statistics reveal any personally-identifiable or individual information and GlobalCaritas does not use any of this information to identify individuals. In certain cases, for the purposes of fraud detection and mitigation, IP addresses are collected in order to protect GlobalCaritas against possible illegal activities.
c) Cookie-based Information: When our clients, donors, volunteers, and other constituents access the secure section of our website, a small text file called a “cookie” is sent from our web server to their web browser and is stored on their computer. Cookies allow us to recognise users while they are logged into the GlobalCaritas website. Cookies expire when the browser window is closed. Session Cookies employed by GlobalCaritas are strictly used to perform the function that the user intended, such as keeping the user logged into the service in a secure fashion and processing transactions and gathering donations into a Gift Basket. Some browsers can be set to reject all cookies. If you choose to modify your browser in this manner, some pages of this website may not function properly.
5) Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
- GlobalCaritas does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law.
- GlobalCaritas does not disclose credit card account information provided by users except to the appropriate banking institutions or payment processing provider in order to process a credit or debit authorization for payment, or to resolve a dispute.
- GlobalCaritas may have to disclose personal information to satisfy a law, regulation or government request, or to satisfy a subpoena, search warrant or legitimate court order.
- GlobalCaritas may share personal information with third parties engaged to assist us in providing our services. Such third parties are contractually bound to protect your personal information as explained above under “Accountability”.
- GlobalCaritas reserves the right to disclose and/or transfer personal information to a third party in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of GlobalCaritas in order for you to continue to receive the same services from the third party.
- GlobalCaritas retains personal information only as long as is necessary for the fulfilment of those purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes(s) remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
GlobalCaritas takes reasonable effort to keep personal information accurate, complete and as up to date as is necessary for the purposes that is being used. Individuals are permitted to check on the accuracy of their personal information and may make, or request, modifications or corrections, if necessary. GlobalCaritas depends on individuals and organizations to help it in maintaining the completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of the information collected. You must log-in to your GlobalCaritas online account to update, modify, correct or delete your personal information.
- GlobalCaritas makes commercially reasonable efforts to protect personal information from loss, theft, unauthorised access, copying, use, modification, disclosure and destruction by establishing and maintaining appropriate security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity level of the information.
- All GlobalCaritas staff members are made aware of the need to maintain strict confidentiality of all personal information.
- With respect to the handling of credit card information, GlobalCaritas adheres to Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) and uses the facilities of a PCI DSS compliant payment processor to securely store your payment card details. Click here to download GlobalCaritas’ compliance certificate.
- GlobalCaritas uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to help ensure the safety and security of online donations. SSL technology enables encryption of sensitive information, including passwords and credit card numbers, during your online transactions.
- GlobalCaritas has thorough security standards to protect our systems and your personal information against unauthorised access and use. This includes the security protections required by POPI compliance as well as specific procedures to keep your donation information secure, private and in South Africa.
9) Individual Access
Upon request, GlobalCaritas will:
- Inform users of the existence and use of their personal information.
- Inform users whether their personal information has been disclosed to any authorised third parties.
- Provide users with access to their personal information in our custody or under our control subject to legal restrictions.
Requests are to be directed to GlobalCaritas, Attention Privacy Official, to any of the following addresses:
PO Box 2751; Houghton 2041; South Africa
GlobalCaritas will make every effort to respond to requests for access to personal information in a reasonable and timely manner.
10) Challenging Compliance